Sunday, December 21, 2014

So We’re Going IA…

February 25, 2008 by
Filed under Bloggers, IA (Individual Augmentee), Jessica

I just found out that my husband will be going IA. He just recently returned from a 6-month deployment, left again for a surge (which are usually around 3-4 months of time) and then will come home for an undisclosed short amount of time and goes again for a year immediately following. Since, I just found out about it I am currently devastated.

Normally, (not during war time) after a regular deployment the Navy will give an 18-month turn around between deployments. After it is all said and done, in roughly 2 years of time my husband will be gone 1 year and 9 months. He will be home for 3 months in two years. I know we are military and this is what we should expect but it still hit me with some force! (To say the least)

At least it will make for some good writing!  I will write more on this later! Just had to share my sad (for me) news! :(

Comments

11 Responses to “So We’re Going IA…”
  1. Jessica(jai) says:

Jessica POWER! We are with you and your family, every step of the way! Prayers and thoughts are with you and yours…. :)

2. Marie says:

Was this at all on your radar?? OR was it a total surprise? You and you’re family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Looks like we are going to have a lot of time for “girl talk”. We’ll have to exchange phone numbers! ; ) I’m here for you!! {BIG HUG}!!

3. Jessica -thanks so much! Hugs!
    Marie- Hit me right smack between the eyes!! Had no idea till yesterday! Sounds great will do! “Girl talk” is a must have when they are gone for sure! Thanks for the hugs! I am feeling much better today. I think the after shock is finally going away so that is good! ;)

4. Jennifer says:

Wow… I knew things like that happened in other branches, but didn’t know the Navy was doing that. Guess I have a lot to learn–I’m dating a Navy submariner myself. And I thought it was bad that when he goes back to his job (he’s on shore duty ’til next April), that he’d be gone for 2 1/2 months and then only on shore for 5 then back to sea again. I’ll consider myself lucky.

Good luck and I’ll be thinking of you!

5. Thanks Jennifer! When I wrote the post I was really upset. I have calmed down since. It won’t be that bad! I know time will go bye fast! Soon this will all be but a memory in the past long forgotten! Ha Ha! :) OK maybe not forgotten but you know what I am getting at! HUGS!

6. Ana says:

Jessica, my husband does what your husband does, and it’s really not bad. He’s here all the time when he’s home, then gone a lot when his crew has the sub.

One thing to be prepared for, though, is when he’s going from shore to sea, he’ll have a high chance for IA duty in between. He may not go, but it will probably come up at the detailer, depending on what his rate is.

7. Yes, Ana that is exactly the case. He is currently on sea duty but should have come off of it in a year. But now he will be doing the IA thing and the training for it. So it will extend his sea duty about a year. We were set to look for orders in a few months but right now if you are up for orders they are putting a lot of folks into the IA billets 1st then when you are done with that you can choose orders. My hubby is an “Airdale” though. So he is not on the subs .When my hubby is home he has to go in and work every day with his air squadron. But everything still runs pretty much the same as far as rotations and things go.

8. Ana says:

Oops, I meant my last comment to Jennifer, the girlfriend of a submariner! Didn’t read the name closely enough, hehe.

We are supposed to go to shore next year, so I’m already bracing myself for the worst…Luckily, he’s a nav and there isn’t much call for that on an IA tour, but it happens.

9. Wendy says:

Jessica- I know it can be shock…it was for me even though my husband volunteered. I think I was in denial up until he left. I’ll be praying for you guys. *hugs*

….and you were right when you wrote when folks are getting ready to PCS they get put into a rotation for IA/GSA orders. It’s supposed to help with stability so that you have the option to stay put or PCS vs. moving to a new duty station only to have your husband leave a few months later.

10. Jessica says:

Recently found out that this is NOT set in stone yet. There may be light at the end of the tunnel after all! Keeping my fingers crossed, holding my breath and praying really hard! REAL HARD! HUGS!